.jpg)
For nearly 150 years, one of Denbigh's largest employers and most striking buildings was the North Wales Hospital, originally the North Wales Counties' Lunatic Asylum. It was founded out of genuine concern: before it opened, Welsh-speaking patients with mental illness were often sent to distant English asylums where few staff spoke their language, or were left in the care of families or the workhouse.
A group of landed gentry, clergy and businessmen met at Denbigh's General Infirmary to press the case for a dedicated hospital, and the result — designed by Thomas Fulljames of Gloucester in an imposing Jacobean style, with a central clock tower — opened in 1848 with room for 200 patients.
The hospital grew steadily over the following decades into something close to a self-contained village: by 1908 it housed around 1,000 patients and staff, complete with its own chapel, farm, workshops, and water and electricity supplies, and at its largest housed as many as 1,500 people. Following the 1930 Mental Treatment Act it was renamed North Wales Counties Mental Hospital, and after the founding of the NHS in 1948 it became the North Wales Hospital for Nervous and Mental Disorders.
As care for mental illness shifted towards smaller, community-based services from the 1980s onward, a ten-year closure strategy was put in place; the hospital's outlying Pool Park site closed in 1991 and the main hospital finally closed in 1995, bringing to an end a 147-year chapter in Denbigh's history.
Opened in 1848 as the North Wales Counties Lunatic Asylum, the hospital was established specifically to give Welsh-speaking patients access to care in their own language and culture, at a time when many patients from North Wales would otherwise have been sent to English institutions far from home. Designed by the architect Thomas Fulljames, the complex grew substantially over the following century into a largely self-sufficient community, with its own farm, gardens, workshops and chapel.
At its peak in the mid-20th century the hospital housed around 1,500 patients, but changing attitudes to mental health care and the shift towards community-based treatment led to a long, gradual wind-down from 1991 and full closure in 1995. The vast Grade II* listed building stood empty and increasingly derelict for over two decades before Denbighshire Council took ownership in 2018 with plans for redevelopment, and it remains one of the most imposing — and most discussed — landmarks on the edge of the town.